About Trips Top 10 Lists References Recent Changes Email Me
Sightings arranged by: Taxonomy Location Date Scientific Name
Agalychnis callidryas — Red-eyed Leaf Frog
Also known as:
Gaudy Leaf Frog, Red-eyed Treefrog
Esquinas Rainforest Lodge, Golfito region, Puntarenas province, Costa Rica—September 24, 2001
Red-eyed Leaf Frogs are a worldwide symbol of the rainforest that you see constantly on books, magazines, greeting cards, nature documentaries, etc. Like every other frog-lover in the world, I had always wanted to see one of these in the wild. Earlier trips I took to Belize and Costa Rica and Panama were failed opportunities. But on this GreenTracks trip, we found one the very first night. It was calling from high up on a leaf. We captured it and took photos the next afternoon.
Here is a complete list of the species we found on this GreenTracks trip.
We found both of these on a dirt road at night, and detained them for a photo session the next day. The darker one is female, the lighter one male. They were mostly interested in sleeping.
No trip to Costa Rica is complete without at least one Red-eyed Leaf Frog. Here are two, thus doubling the minimum requirement.
- Agalychnis callidryas account on iNaturalist
- Beletsky, L. 1998. Costa Rica: The Ecotraveller's Wildlife Guide
- Campbell, J. A. 1998. Amphibians and Reptiles of Northern Guatemala, the Yucatán, and Belize
- Duellman, W. E. 2001. Hylid Frogs of Middle America
- Hayes, M. P., Pounds, J. A., Timmerman, W. W. 1989. An Annotated List and Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Monteverde, Costa Rica
- Lee, J. C. 1996. The Amphibians and Reptiles of the Yucatán Peninsula
- Lee, J. C. 2000. A Field Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of the Maya World
- Leenders, T. 2001. A Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica
- Norman, D. 1998. Common Amphibians of Costa Rica
- Obst, F. J., Richter, K., Jacob, U. 1988. The Completely Illustrated Atlas of Reptiles and Amphibians for the Terrarium
- Savage, J. M. 2002. The Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica
- Savage, J. M., Villa R., J. 1986. Introduction to the Herpetofauna of Costa Rica