Deirochelys reticularia — Chicken Turtle
Subspecies I've seen:
D. r. chrysea
Florida Chicken Turtle
Deirochelys reticularia chrysea — Florida Chicken Turtle
Why did the turtle cross the road? To get to the other side, away from curious humans. And if wandering away doesn't scare off the people, making frightening faces might.
I had originally misidentified this turtle as the more common Florida Red-bellied Cooter. Thanks to Jake Scott for correcting me.
- Ashton, R. E. Jr., Ashton, P. S. 1991. Handbook of Reptiles and Amphibians of Florida, Part Two: Lizards, Turtles, & Crocodilians, Revised Second Edition
- Bartlett, R. D., Bartlett, P. B. 2011. Florida's Turtles, Lizards, and Crocodilians
- Conant, R., Collins, J. T. 1998. Peterson Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern and Central North America, Third Edition, expanded
- Ernst, C. H., Barbour, R. W. 1989. Turtles of the World
- Ernst, C. H., and Lovich, J. E. 2009. Turtles of the United States and Canada, Second Edition