Bellatorias frerei — Major Skink
This was a great big honking skink, the largest wild skink I have ever seen. Apparently it got that way by avoiding large mammals, as I couldn't approach it closely enough to get any sort of decent picture. I saw another of these in Mossman Gorge also, for about 1/3 of a second.
Here is a complete list of the reptiles and frogs I saw on this trip to Australia.
- Cogger, H. G. 2014. Reptiles & Amphibians of Australia, Seventh Edition
- Hoser, R. T. 1989. Australian Reptiles & Frogs
- Swan, G. 1995. A Photographic Guide to Snakes & Other Reptiles of Australia
- Wilson, S. K., Knowles, D. 1988. Australia's Reptiles: A Photographic Reference to the Terrestrial Reptiles of Australia
- Wilson, S. and Swan, G. 2017. A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia, Fifth Edition