We saw several turtle heads sticking out of the water, but this was the only turtle brave enough to leave the water while we were watching. It was a considerable distance away though, making for a somewhat scenic photo but not a very identifiable one. Fortunately, there's only one type of turtle at this location so identification was easy.
- Behler, J. L., King, F. W. 1979. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles & Amphibians
- Brennan, T. C. and Holycross, A. T. 2006. A Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles in Arizona
- Crother, B. I. (ed.) 2017. Scientific and Standard English Names of Amphibians and Reptiles of North America North of Mexico, with Comments Regarding Confidence in Our Understanding, Eighth Edition
- Ernst, C. H., Barbour, R. W. 1989. Turtles of the World
- Monday, D.C., Dobolek, R. 1999. Arizona Wildlife Views, Special Edition
- Smith, H. M., Brodie, E. D. Jr. 1982. Reptiles of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
- Stebbins, R. C. 2003. Peterson Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians, Third Edition