Thanks to Brian Hubbs for pointing out that I had misclassified this individual as a member of the extremely-questionable-at-best subspecies sticticeps. It seems that even the people who still recognize that variety don't think that it lives as far north as Bodie Island.
- Behler, J. L., King, F. W. 1979. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles & Amphibians
- Conant, R., Collins, J. T. 1998. Peterson Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern and Central North America, Third Edition, expanded
- Crother, B. I. (ed.) 2017. Scientific and Standard English Names of Amphibians and Reptiles of North America North of Mexico, with Comments Regarding Confidence in Our Understanding, Eighth Edition
- Hubbs, B. 2009. Common Kingsnakes: A Natural History of Lampropeltis getula
- Smith, H. M., Brodie, E. D. Jr. 1982. Reptiles of North America: A Guide to Field Identification