Pseudemys concinna — River Cooter
Subspecies I've seen:
P. c. floridana
Coastal Plain Cooter
Pseudemys concinna floridana — Coastal Plain Cooter
A few of these turtles were hanging around the dock from which we rented a small boat, but the water was murky so I couldn't get any good shots. This type of turtle was formerly known as the Florida Cooter and considered a separate species, Pseudemys floridana.
I wish this place had been named the Leon Spinks Geological Area, but alas.
- Bartlett, R. D., Bartlett, P. B. 1999. A Field Guide to Florida Reptiles and Amphibians
- Behler, J. L., King, F. W. 1979. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles & Amphibians
- Carmichael, P., Williams, W. 1991. Florida's Fabulous Reptiles & Amphibians
- Conant, R., Collins, J. T. 1998. Peterson Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern and Central North America, Third Edition, expanded
- Crother, B. I. (ed.) 2017. Scientific and Standard English Names of Amphibians and Reptiles of North America North of Mexico, with Comments Regarding Confidence in Our Understanding, Eighth Edition
- Ernst, C. H., Barbour, R. W. 1989. Turtles of the World
- Jensen, J. B., Camp, C. D., Gibbons, W., and Elliott, M. J. 2008. Amphibians and Reptiles of Georgia