This particular very large lizard had just scared the bejeebers out of a nice Canadian couple with whom we had been chatting just before they headed down the path to the falls. The lizard had been concealed in tall dry grass when they spooked it by walking near, and it reacted by bolting out of the grass right past them and up the nearest tree. I don't think the poor Canadians ever made it to the falls, which were quite nice.
Here is a complete list of the reptiles and frogs I saw on this trip to Australia.
- Cogger, H. G. 2014. Reptiles & Amphibians of Australia, Seventh Edition
- Hoser, R. T. 1989. Australian Reptiles & Frogs
- Pianka, E. R., King, D. R., King, R. A. 2004. Varanoid Lizards of the World
- Swan, G. 1995. A Photographic Guide to Snakes & Other Reptiles of Australia
- Wilson, S. K., Knowles, D. 1988. Australia's Reptiles: A Photographic Reference to the Terrestrial Reptiles of Australia
- Wilson, S. and Swan, G. 2003. Reptiles of Australia